There are numerous online resources for researching maritime history.
- Historic Naval Ships Association
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Online Catalog
- LIbrary of Congress Prints and Photographs for HABS/HAER/HALS
- Library of Congress “Built in America” project – includes photos, plans, and histories of ships, shipwrecks, lighthouses, and other maritime resources documented by HABS/HAER/HALS
- National Archives: Maritime Records
- NOAA’s Historical Map & Chart Collection
- Naval History and Heritage Command
- U.S. Coast Guard Historian’s Office
- U.S. Lighthouse Society - Under their resources page you can find Light Lists, lens and lamp inventories, database of descriptive pamphlets from the National Archives, articles from The Keeper’s Logs, and more.