About the New Bedford Whaling Museum
Through its exhibitions, publications and programs, the Museum brings to life an international and multicultural canvas of stories, including:
- Amazing voyages of early whalers and explorers and the remote places and peoples they encountered;
- The habits and habitats of whales and marine mammals through the ages;
- The industrial revolution and growth of New England’s textile mills and other industries;
- A diversity of peoples seeking religious, racial, and social tolerance whose histories intersect there, and pioneers of all colors; and
- A proud maritime heritage of shipbuilding, yacht design, and life with the sea.
The Museum is also making new history with its national award-winning high school apprenticeship program and with unique partnerships that advocate for our oceans and for whales today.
The Museum also houses a vast and valuable collection of fine and decorative art and artifacts; 25 galleries; a research library whose archives of logbooks, photographs, records, and rare documents have become internationally renown; the dramatic full skeletons of five whales; and the Lagoda – an 89-foot half scale model of a full-rigged whaling ship.
The President & CEO Opportunity
This is the rare opportunity to take the helm of a vibrant and healthy organization and steer it into the future. The Museum has had nine consecutive years of positive financial results, during which it constructed a new building and doubled its endowment. There is a wealth of staff and volunteer talent, growing community involvement, partnerships with numerous organizations, a fully vested Board of Trustees and a broad base of donor support.
We are particularly interested in candidates with the following professional and personal qualities, skills and experience:
- A strategic, tactical and entrepreneurial leader able to develop and articulate a vision for the Museum’s next chapter;
- An ambassador and fundraiser who can share the mission and vision with the outside world and help to expand the institution’s role more broadly;
- A seasoned executive with strong staff, operational and financial management experience; and
- A sincere passion for the mission of the Museum and a commitment to bringing its mission to the residents of New Bedford and surrounding communities, and far beyond.
Additional information on the Museum and the role can be found here.
To suggest potential candidates, please contact Anne & Erin at
Potential candidates can express interest in the role by clicking here.