The Trustees of the Sailors of Snug Harbor are looking to connect with retired mariners. SSH is an operating foundation dedicated to assisting retired mariners wherever they live, who need financial assistance and meet the eligibility criteria. More than 16,500 mariners have been assisted since its inception in the early nineteenth century.
If CAMM Member and Affiliate Museums would like brochures to distribute at their institutions, please contact:
The Trustees of the Sailors’ Snug Harbor
17 Battery Place, Suite 230
New York,NY 10004
Tel: 646-465-8585, Toll Free: 1-888-257-5456
Alternately, if CAMM Members and Affiliates have affinity groups that would benefit from Sailors’ Snug Harbor support services for retired mariners, please feel free to forward this brochure.
The Trustees of the Sailors’ Snug Harbor (SSH) was incorporated in
1806 as the result of a bequest made by Captain Robert Richard Randall, a
wealthy New York merchant. It was Captain Randall’s desire to have his
estate utilized to assist ‘aged, decrepit and worn-out seamen…’.
Who We Are
SSH is a non-profit organization whose mission is to financially aid
retired career mariners with a proven need of assistance. SSH no longer
owns or operates a retirement facility for mariners in Sea Level, NC, Staten
Island, NY or anywhere else. Today, we assist mariners in their home
Whom we assist
We offer support to career mariners who can demonstrate they have a need
for financial assistance and meet the following requirements:
- 2555 days of deep sea time, at least five years on U.S. flagged ships or 14 years working on inland rivers
- 65 years of age or older or on disability (Some exceptions may be made)
- Proven need for financial assistance
- Resident of the USA (or its territories)
- An individual with $50,000 or more in assets will not be eligible (primary residence excluded)
- A three year look back period will be used
- Public benefits available to a mariner must be accessed, if eligible, before any subsidy from SSH is approved. For example, VA benefits, Medicaid, SNAP etc.
More than 16,500 mariners have been assisted since its inception in the
early nineteenth century.
Each interested Mariner must complete an application that requires detailed
information about present living arrangements, financial history etc.
Contact Sailors’ Snug Harbor
If you have any questions or are in need of assistance, please call our Mariner
Counselor at 1-888-257-5456. The web site www.thesailorssnugharbor.org
has a link to our application. If you do not have access to a computer, please
call and one will be sent to you.
We look forward to hearing from you.