The National Museum of the Great Lakes in Toledo, Ohio is seeking a Director of Communications and Development.
Position Closed 5/30/19
Who We Are:
The National Museum of the Great Lakes is owned and operated by the Great Lakes Historical Society which was established in 1945. The mission of the organization is to preserve and make known the history of the Great Lakes. We achieve that mission by (1) Operating the National Museum of the Great Lakes in Toledo Ohio; (2) publishing our award winning quarterly journal, Inland Seas®; (3) conducting ground breaking underwater archaeology on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and (4) offering educational
programming to thousands of children and adults each year.
While our staff is small, we have achieved incredible success over the years winning local, regional and national awards across the spectrum of our many activities. From creating nationally recognized exhibits, to uncovering important historical developments, to discovering the most important shipwrecks on the Great Lakes, employment with our museum offers candidates the chance to be part of history not just working in and for an historical organization. With a small staff, this organization provides a potential candidate with a unique opportunity to use existing skills and develop new ones in a team centered effort at organizational excellence.
General Position Description:
As a part of the National Museum of the Great Lakes (NMGL) the ideal candidate will be responsible for leading and managing marketing communications activities that are aligned with the museum’s strategic plan to drive membership, visitors, and charitable giving. The candidate will work with the executive director and marketing committee board chair to develop and implement integrated strategies and campaigns to increase awareness of NMGL programs and mission to potential donors, members and visitors. The candidate will work closely with the Executive Director and other board members to
develop and implement the annual and strategic fundraising activities of the organization.
- Demonstrate a track record of increased responsibility in creating and delivering a marketing communications strategy
- Demonstrate superior organizational skills particularly in event management
- Demonstrate superior written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrate expertise in digital graphic design and layout, experience in Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Be a storyteller with a passion for non-profit, history and/or the Great Lakes region
- Must be an approachable, motivated and self-manager with the ability to communicate to all stakeholders including the board, members, media, visitors, donors, and the local community
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between marketing, public relations and development.
- Demonstrate a track record of working collaboratively with others across occupational disciplines.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to embrace and overcome challenges.
Required and Desired Qualifications:
- Degree from an accredited four year institution of higher learning; degree in public relations a plus
- Have 3-5 years minimum experience in public relations; experience with not for profits and or development a plus.
- Accreditation and member of PRSA or similar organization a plus
Specific Work Expectations:
- Manage, evaluate and adapt existing marketing plan for the organization.
- Manage existing fundraising activities including special event and annual fund campaign.
- Serve as the organization’s spokesperson in media inquiries.
- Serve as the organization’s ambassador to the philanthropic community though community outreach.
- Candidate will be expected to start no later than August 1, 2019 but employer would prefer July 1-15, 2019 start date.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Based on education and experience. Anticipated range: $48,000-$60,000 per year
- Medical Insurance
- Paid Time Off for Vacation and Personal
- Paid Major Holidays
Inquiries and Applications:
Please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants can send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by
June 10, 2019 Position Closed 5/30/19