Leonard C. Rennie (1903-1981) was a very successful graphics designer and consultant. He worked extensively with the Works Progress Administration, Federal Housing Administration, National Park Service, and the State Department. For many years, he also served as a consultant to various maritime museums, which is how he became involved with the Council of American Maritime Museums (CAMM). He donated an endowment to CAMM to encourage the participation of museum staff other than directors in its activities.
The Leonard Rennie Travel Fund was established by CAMM to support the professional development of its institutional members’ staff, both paid and volunteer. Each year CAMM offers grants for participation in conferences, meetings, or workshops that enhance the professional qualifications of CAMM members’ staff in the fields of maritime preservation and museum practice.
Grants are made to CAMM member institutions, not to individuals. An applicant for a Rennie Fellowship must be a staff member, either paid or volunteer, of a full CAMM member museum or a CAMM affiliate member museum. The grant supports 75% of each Rennie Fellow’s expenses up to a maximum of $1000. The Fellow’s institution agrees to fund the balance.
Rennie Travel Grants are administered by a committee of the Council with these parameters:
- The committee prioritizes support for first-time attendees, museum staff, and full CAMM members, but does not exclude applications from directors.
- It considers the financial constraints of the applicant institution and the distance for Fellows to travel.
- An institution may apply for more than one Fellowship in the same year but only one will granted unless sufficient funds remain unallocated after all other applications have been considered.
- An institution may apply for a Fellowship each year, but preference will be given to institutions that did not receive a grant the previous year.
- Exceptionally, an institution may apply for a grant for an existing Rennie Fellow in a successive year, in which case the grant supports 50% of the Fellow’s expenses up to a maximum of $500. The Fellow’s institution agrees to fund the balance.
To apply for a Leonard Rennie Travel Grant, please complete this form and send it to:
Paul Fontenoy, CAMM Administrator
1832 Cherokee Road NW
Albuquerque, NM 87107
Telephone: (252) 528-0955 Fax: (505) 216-2554